Relocating to Denmark: What Documents to Arrange

Relocating to Denmark, with its high quality of life, excellent social services, and beautiful landscapes, is an attractive prospect for many. However, moving to a new country comes with a labyrinth of bureaucratic procedures, especially regarding the necessary documentation. This guide aims to streamline your relocation process to Denmark, highlighting the essential documents you’ll need, whether you’re an EU citizen or coming from outside the EU.

For EU Citizens

As an EU citizen, you have the right to live and work in Denmark under the freedom of movement. However, there are still several key documents and registrations to take care of:

1. National ID or Passport: Ensure your identification documents are valid for your entire stay.

2. European Health Insurance Card (EHIC): While this card covers you for the initial period, you’ll need to register for the Danish health insurance system for long-term stay.

3. Proof of Employment or Study: This can be an employment contract, a letter from your employer, or an admission letter from a Danish educational institution.

4. Registration Certificate: After arriving in Denmark, you must apply for a registration certificate at the State Administration (Statsforvaltningen). This process requires proof of address, employment or enrolment in an educational program, and sufficient funds for self-support.

5. CPR Number: The Central Person Register (CPR) number is crucial in Denmark. It’s required for opening a bank account, getting a Danish phone number, and accessing healthcare services. You can apply for this at the local Citizens Service Centre (Borgerservice) after obtaining your registration certificate.

For Non-EU Citizens

The process for non-EU citizens is more stringent, involving visas and residence permits:

1. Visa: Depending on your country of origin, you might need a visa to enter Denmark. Check the Danish Immigration Service’s website for specific requirements.

2. Residence Permit: You must apply for a residence permit if you plan to stay in Denmark for more than 90 days. This application should be submitted to the Danish embassy or consulate in your home country before arrival. Required documents typically include:

  • A valid passport.
  • Completed application form.
  • Passport photos.
  • Proof of accommodation in Denmark.
  • Proof of financial means or employment contract.
  • Health insurance coverage.

3. Work Permit: If you’re moving to Denmark for employment, you’ll need a work permit, which is often included in the residence permit for job-related stays. Your employer in Denmark may assist with this process.

4. CPR Number: Like EU citizens, you’ll need to obtain a CPR number upon arrival for various services and registrations.

Common Documents for All Relocators

1. Marriage and Birth Certificates: If moving with your family, bring authenticated marriage and birth certificates, which might need to be translated into Danish or English.

2. Academic and Professional Qualifications: For job seekers or those pursuing further education, bring your diplomas, certificates, and any professional qualifications. Translations may be required.

3. Driving License: Check whether your current driving license is valid in Denmark or if you need an International Driving Permit.

4. Medical Records and Prescriptions: Bring your medical records and any ongoing prescriptions, translated into English or Danish, to ensure continuity of care.

Tips for a Smooth Documentation Process

  • Start Early: Begin gathering your documents well in advance of your move.
  • Stay Organized: Keep all documents in a secure, easily accessible place, and consider having electronic copies as backups.
  • Official Translations: Ensure that all non-English documents have official translations, if required.
  • Legalization and Apostille: Some documents may need legalization or an apostille to be recognized in Denmark.

Further Resources

  • New to Denmark: is the official portal for foreign nationals moving to Denmark, offering comprehensive information on visas, residence permits, and living in Denmark.
  • Danish Immigration Service: provides detailed guidance on immigration rules and procedures.
  • Citizens Service Centre: Your local Borgerservice can be an invaluable resource once you arrive in Denmark for various registrations and services.


Moving to Denmark requires careful preparation, especially regarding the necessary documentation. Whether you’re an EU citizen enjoying freedom of movement or a non-EU national navigating through visa and permit applications, being well-prepared is key to a successful relocation. By understanding the required documents and taking advantage of available resources, you can look forward to starting your new life in Denmark with confidence.

More for you